Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day 2: Florida

Ryan and I had to be at Cocoa Beach at the La Quinta at 8:00 am in order to meet up with the group to catch the bus for the Kennedy Space Center Tour. We had an hour drive ahead of us as well since we were staying in Orlando. All I can say is after a long day and going to bed at 2:00 am....6:00 am comes pretty early. Ryan went to bed after me. I got my second wind once we arrived at the space center. When I was in grade school, I wanted to be a astronaut. I was very serious about this. When I was in fifth grade, we watched the Challenger launch at school....it made me so sick inside I had to call my mom and go home. Those of you who know me, that will not surprise you that I went home from school sick, I did that a lot when I was younger... he he he. Anyway, after that launch I decided I wanted to be a school teacher or a nurse.

The Space Center Tour was awesome! Here are some pictures. I forgot the camera so I had to use my phone.

The shuttle Atlantis the day before the launch

Ryan and I with the shuttle. This was the shuttle Atlantis last scheduled flight. It was her 32nd flight in space.

The rock road they drive the shuttle down

The rock crawler that transports the shuttle to the launch site

Mission Control

Ryan and I at Mission Control

This is where you see the people watching the shuttle when you watch it on TV

An ALLIGATOR!!

NASA Plane

The building where they pieced the Columbia back together in


I loved the space center so much, we drove back to Orlando, got the kids and my mom, picked up my dad who happened to be in Florida with a semi load, and went back to the space center. My very favorite part of the space center was the IMAX about men walking on the moon. It made me cry. I don't know why, just because I am a science geek, I guess.








The Space Shop was the kids favorite place

1 comment:

Heidi Green said...

It looks like you had an amazing trip. I remember the shuttle explosion so clearly. I can remember where the TV was in the room and which way I was facing as I watched it. The most distinct memory I had is of one of the teachers coming into our room to cry and hug our teacher. It's amazing the small things that stick in your mind. :) PS - I can't wait to see the other day's of your trip. I followed your facebook posts so I can't wait to see the pics that go along with everything you talked about.