Wednesday, June 23, 2010

South Dakota Road Trip Day 1

Day 1: June 17, Twenty Ten
Destination: Tremonton Utah (elevation 4,322ft)  - Casper Wyoming ( elevation 5100 to 5200 ft)
Distance: 460 Miles
National Forests Visited: Cache National Forest

Today, we drove from a lot. The drive was not that beautiful. I made my kids little packets about South Dakota, Mt. Rushmore and Wyoming. I think they did a few pages. I also packed their daily worksheets they have been doing each day this summer. They had bought some songs and TV shows for their IPod Touches, so they pretty much kept themselves entertained. I also bought them some of their favorite magazines to look at. I didn't give them to them until we got in the car ready to go, Kenzie was with me when I bought these and she actually kept it a secret! Way to go Kenz! We stopped at Martin's Cove along the way. We went through the visitors center, watched a video and let the kids try pulling a handcart. They liked pulling it at first, but by the time we were walking back from the Veil Bridge, they were already sick of it. I can't imagine what it would have been like trying to take all three of them across the plains. They complained a little just riding in the car. "How much longer, What time is it?" Can you imagine crossing the plains in a handcart with them? Wow, it was a neat experience but left me feeling kind of somber inside for the rest of the day. We ate at Village Inn that night. Krisanne and I had a little argument (in Village Inn) but we got it all worked out. It was fun to travel with my family and the kids loved going with their cousins, aunts, uncle Jake and Grandparents!

Here are two Websites if you would like to read about Martin's Cove. Martin's Cove One and Martin's Cove Two.
The Kids and a handcart
Inside the visitor center
The Kent Family being Pioneers
Kenzie getting a ride first
Tayler's Turn
The Veil Bridge built so people wouldn't have to cross through the water anymore
Makayden thinks it is awesome, he finally got a turn!
The area
Devils Gate


1 comment:

Sherri Madson said...

That makes you really appreciate how easy we have it at times.....