Saturday, August 08, 2009

My Grandma White


Thursday night, I spent the night at my Grandma White's house. I then spent all day Friday with her. She recently fell off a chair and landed on her elbow. It shattered her elbow and disconnected the muscle that attaches to the bone. It was a very serious brake. She had surgery on Monday which lasted for 3 hours with two doctors working on her. I was so glad I had the opportunity to go and help her. I love both of Grandmas very much and they are my heroes. They are both so special to me.

My Grandma White has taught me the value of hard work and service. All my life I have watched how hard she works. When I was younger, we use to get together and can fruit with all the family. My Grandma and Great Grandma were the hardest working people there. They really knew how to work and never stopped until it was all finished and cleaned up. My Grandma has always served many people. She was always doing things for others. One Christmas we fixed a big Christmas dinner, wrapped it up in a box and left it on the door step of a family in need that year. I will never forget that experience.

It was hard watching my Grandma this weekend. I had to help her do everything. I almost let her fall in the tub on the way to bathroom. She did actually hit into it but I quickly pulled her up. It scared the crap out of me, she was falling right on her elbow. Then, when I was walking her back to bed later she started to tip, but I was much faster this time!! I could tell she was so frustrated, but she never complained. I love her and her example so much.

I remember when I was 16 I had my appendix out. It was the old fashion surgery and I had to stay in the hospital for 3 days. My Grandma White sat with me for a while so my Mom could have a break. I remember being very tired. When I would wake up, I would see her sitting in the chair crocheting. She would look over at me and smile and I would go back to sleep. She never left me. I don't like to be alone and between her and my mother, I never was left alone. One of them always spent the night in the chair next to my bed.

When I was in eighth grade, My Grandparents took me to Washington DC. My Grandpa had meetings there for County Commission. My Grandma took me and my sister Lisa all over Washington DC. It was such a fun trip. I will never forget it. I am so glad I have been able to spend so much time with my Grandparents. It has been hard watching them get older and they will always have a special place in my heart. They have been such great examples to me. Even now, my Grandma continues to be an example to me.

No comments: